Monday, February 27, 2012

Multimodal Essay

A Reflection on This Essay


            This multimodal essay was different from anything I have ever done.  I thought the most difficult part was coming up with the topic I was going to use for my essay.  I ended up changing my topic a couple of times before finally settling on one that deals with using digital media constructively.  I focused on cyberbullying and how digital media can be used to take away the sting of this epidemic.  Finding the right combination of songs, videos, pictures and words proved to be a more difficult task than I initially thought it would be.  I do think doing such a project is very productive.  I can see this being used in a classroom when I teach to give students a fresh take on an essay.  It would be give students a nice break from the conventional paper and pen methods they are accustomed to and give them a new skill set for the future. 
            Through this experience, I learned how to work with iMovie.  I have also learned a new form of essay.  The multimodal essay has been a great experience.  Using ducking, creating transitions, syncing the transitions correctly and clipping videos and songs have all been a part of this project that I had not been familiar with in the past.  I felt like I had a better understanding the more I worked on it.  I am not completely happy with the finished product.  There were a few things I could not figure out on the essay.  On one slide, I ended up using the Star Wars disappearing text method and couldn’t figure out how to slow the text down.  I would have also preferred to have done a different type of text, but couldn’t figure out how to incorporate a large amount of text on a slide.  Ultimately, I felt like I did well enough to have an effective essay but would have liked to have done more.


Storyboarding the Essay



Finally, the Essay itself

Here is the multimodal essay.  It is the first of its sort that I have created.  Hope you enjoy!!




2 comments:

  1. Nice! Can you make your link a link?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there a storyboard for this essay? Would love to see that!

    ReplyDelete